Re: minor feature request: Secure defaults during function creation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: minor feature request: Secure defaults during function creation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jimn@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:24:43AM -0400, Pascal Meunier wrote:
>> My request is to allow changing default permissions for function creation, a
>> la "umask", or at least not give PUBLIC execute permissions by default.

> Hrm... do we have any other objects that default to granting permissions
> on creation?

Yes; see the GRANT reference page.

I'm disinclined to change it.  We've had the current behavior since we
introduced ACLs for functions at all, and there have been very few
complaints.  I think we'd get a lot more complaints if we denied public
EXECUTE by default.  One reason is that given the way pg_dump and
default permissions work, any such change would break existing
applications, because an existing schema loaded into a new backend
would suddenly have different permissions behavior.