Re: Arguments to foreign tables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Arguments to foreign tables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
>> I'd also opine that the FDW APIs are pretty darn heavyweight for an SRF.
>> There might be a small number of SRFs for which it's actually worth
>> dealing with the planner in full generality, but surely not very many.

> I was not suggesting that we remove the user-facing simplicity of SRFs.

> Granted, this is not very well thought-through from an API standpoint.
> But I was imagining adding something to the FDW API that allows for
> arguments to be passed from the FROM clause down the the FDW code.

Well, that's not terribly exciting.  An FDW can already look at the RTE
for the relation, which would contain whatever information is available
about parameters-in-FROM.  But the real problem is how do you get into
the FDW code path to start with, when the FROM item looks like a
function call?