Re: Columns defined not matching pg_attibute - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Columns defined not matching pg_attibute
Date
List pgsql-general
Justin Arnold <jharnold81@gmail.com> writes:
> Hey guys, having a bizarre issue I have not seen before and couldn't locate
> anything via Google (though I might not be choosing the correct phrasing).

Apparently, those last couple of rows in pg_attribute are visible to a
regular MVCC scan but not to SnapshotNow scans.  This suggests
transaction wraparound or maybe broken hint-bit settings.  Try doing a
VACUUM on pg_attribute, then VACUUM FREEZE pg_attribute.  It's hard to
predict in advance of the experiment whether you'll end up with the rows
visible or not-visible, so you might lose the data in those columns ---
but apparently you're not using them anyway, or you'd be seeing more
stuff fall over than just pg_dump.

If you need to be sure that the rows end up visible, another line of
attack would be to do a manual no-op UPDATE on just those rows.

> We are running postgres 8.3.4 on 64 bit Red Hat kernel

As noted elsewhere, this is an old version with many known bugs.

            regards, tom lane