Re: upgraded to 7.3.2 and now see pg_temp_x databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: upgraded to 7.3.2 and now see pg_temp_x databases?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> I upgraded from 7.2 to 7.3.2 and everything works great.  However, when I
> open pgAdminII, I  see three empty databases named pg_temp_2,pg_temp_4 and
> pg_temp_8.  What are these, and are they safe to remove?

Those are schemas, not databases; they are created to hold temp tables.
While you can remove 'em if you wish (and if they're currently empty;
don't do a DELETE CASCADE!), there's no point in it, because they'll be
recreated as soon as backends need to make temp tables.

An empty schema doesn't cost anything except one row in pg_namespace,
so it didn't seem worthwhile to remove the schema only to have to make
it again later.  Instead, empty temp schemas are left around for re-use
by future backends.

            regards, tom lane