Re: More Snow Leopard fun: multiarch problems while building plperl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More Snow Leopard fun: multiarch problems while building plperl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Otto <asche@me.com> writes:
> Ups, my previous patch was already applied in HEAD. This patch removes
> the sed-patch and added the check and set of ARCHFLAGS.

This seems to be assuming a lot more about the behavior of Apple's Perl
hacks than I think we should.  The patch as committed is good, because
having any -arch flags in $perl_embed_ldflags is flat out wrong no
matter what.  They need to be in some other variable such as CFLAGS
in order to have the desired effect.

If you're proposing that the whole Postgres build system start paying
attention to ARCHFLAGS instead of/in addition to CFLAGS, we could talk
about that, but it'll be a much larger patch.  See also the thread here
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00884.php
which points out that propagating -arch is the least of our worries.