Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:13:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, what I found out last time I touched this code is that on many
>> systems setlocale doesn't bother to return a canonicalized spelling;
>> it just gives back the string you gave it.  It might be worth doing
>> what Peter suggests, just to be consistent with what we are doing
>> elsewhere, but I'm not sure how much it will help.

> This comment in initdb.c doesn't sound hopeful:

>  * If successful, and canonname isn't NULL, a malloc'd copy of the locale's
>  * canonical name is stored there.  This is especially useful for figuring out
>  * what locale name "" means (ie, the environment value).  (Actually,
>  * it seems that on most implementations that's the only thing it's good for;
>  * we could wish that setlocale gave back a canonically spelled version of
>  * the locale name, but typically it doesn't.)

Yeah, I wrote that.  We can hope that the OP is running on a platform
where setlocale does canonicalize the name, in which case doing the
same thing in pg_upgrade that initdb does would fix his problem.  But
I'm not going to predict success.