pg_am access in simple transaction? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pinker
Subject pg_am access in simple transaction?
Date
Re: pg_am access in simple transaction?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I'm doing simple tests with lsof on data catalog with bash script:

#!/bin/bash
for i in {0..2000}
do
    psql -U postgres -c '*BEGIN; select pg_sleep(30); COMMIT*'&
done

and i measure number of open files and what files are affected by specific
command.
Lsof has shown me that the only file that was open during this test was:
data/base/13328/2601, which is pg_catalog table pg_am.

Why postgres opens a table that stores information about relation (index)
access methods, while none index evidently is in use?