Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps
Date
Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
> Can we have a reconnect and "reopen prepared/saved transactions" feature?
> Please? :)

No.  A prepared transaction has already run its end-of-transaction
operations, eg at-commit triggers.  Reopening it would be a fundamental
semantics violation.

That said, it seems to me that the prepared-xacts infrastructure could
possibly support a separate "suspend transaction" and "resume
transaction" facility, if anyone wants to do the legwork to make it
happen.  What this would actually be useful for is a fair question
though --- what's it do that you don't have now?

            regards, tom lane