Re: Remove last traces of SCM credential auth from libpq? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Remove last traces of SCM credential auth from libpq?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/16/23 10:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>> libpq has kept some code related to the support of authentication with
>> SCM credentials for some time now, code dead in the backend since
>> 9.1.  Wouldn't it be time to let it go and remove this code entirely,
>> erroring in libpq if attempting to connect to a server that supports
>> that?
>
> +1.  Since that's only used on Unix-domain sockets, it could only be
> useful if you were using current libpq while talking to a pre-9.1
> server on the same machine.

+1.

> Also, in pg_fe_sendauth, couldn't you just let the default: case
> handle it instead of adding a bespoke error message?  We're not
> really expecting that anyone is ever going to hit this, so I'm
> not convinced it's worth the translation burden.

+1 to this, that was my thought as well. That would let us remove the
"AUTH_REQ_SCM_CREDS" constant too.

It looks like in the po files there are a bunch of "SCM_CRED
authentication method not supported" messages that can also be removed.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment