How the Planner in PGStrom differs from PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Anns
Subject How the Planner in PGStrom differs from PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
I am reading through Postgres and PGStrom. Regarding the planning factors, I
need some clarifications. Can u help me with that?

Planner in Postgres checks for different scan and join methods, and then
find the cheapest one and creates a query plan tree. While going for same
thing in GPU, the checks should also be made for, whether it is device
executable or not and the query plan tree from Postgres has been updated.

How this planning in GPU actually works for? How to determine device
executables? What are the factors considered for the planner in GPU?

For example, in gpujoin.c, the function responsible for this plan is
pgstrom_post_planner_gpujoin. What is the work of this function? What is
this actually doing?  It is updating some target list. What are they? It is
checking for pgstrom_device_expression(tle->expr) i.e., for device
executables. What are the tasks covered under this?

Best regards