Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> At 01:37 PM 12/09/2002 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Er ... what has that got to do with this?

> When a user issues a 'CREATE FUNCTION' call, the fmgr can check the return
> type, and create it with the correct return type (with warning). We just
> need to make sure that the language handlers are listed as returning the
> correct type.

You mean hardwire the names "plpgsql_language_handler", etc, as being
ones that should return such-and-such instead of OPAQUE?

I suppose that's a possible approach, but it strikes me as mighty
ugly.

If we were going to do such a thing, I'd also want to see it force
the shlib path to "$libdir".  Does that strike you as impossibly
crocky, or a reasonable workaround for our past sins?