Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Need for speed 2  (Ulrich Wisser, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  (Frank Wiles, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  (Ron, )
     Re: Need for speed 2  (Kelly Burkhart, )
      Re: Need for speed 2  (Alex Turner, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  ("Merlin Moncure", )
     What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Andrew Lazarus, )
      Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Steve Poe, )
      Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Tom Lane, )

Andrew Lazarus <> writes:
> Should I temporarily increase sort_mem, vacuum_mem, neither, or both
> when doing a CLUSTER on a large (100 million row) table

The only part of that job that can use lots of memory is the index
rebuilds.  In recent PG versions maintenance_work_mem is the thing
to increase for an index build; previously sort_mem controlled it.
I forget when the changeover was; maybe 8.0.

            regards, tom lane