Re: Validity of using the test_decoding plugin for production? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua Kehn
Subject Re: Validity of using the test_decoding plugin for production?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016, at 04:00 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> How are you going to use it anyway? First deparse its output
> and adapt it to your needs?

That's the intention. Take the output of test_decoding, transform it
into a reasonable object form, and feed that into an events stream for
real-time consumption.

The initial question was suitability of the test_decoding plugin, given
that it is the only one I see available on RDS and requiring a switch to
a self-managed Postgres instance—to use a separate plugin—would kill
this idea.

Are there any success/failure stories about using logical decoding as a
way of generating an events stream? There's some new question marks over
the consumer side, whether to use pg_recvlogical or something with a
peek/write to stream/pop cycle to protect the consumer from failure.

Given a single reader, what is the common failure mode when consuming
the output?

Best,

-Josh