Re: could not bind IPv6 socket - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: could not bind IPv6 socket
Date
List pgsql-general
hisatomo@ctc-g.co.jp writes:
> Hi, Does anyone have any experience to see the messaege below?
> %pg_ctl start
> postmaster starting
> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket:
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

Hmm, it's pretty odd that there's not any kernel errno message after
the "socket: ", but otherwise this is not very surprising.  There
are a lot of platforms where libc thinks that IPv6 sockets exist but
the kernel doesn't agree, and the above is the expected result in
such cases.  The postmaster will try to bind to the IPv6 address that
getaddrinfo() told it to try to bind to, fail, and emit a bleat like the
above.  As long as there is an IPv4 address we can successfully bind to,
no harm done.

> Does anyone know the way to make the log not appear?

Get your kernel and libc to agree about whether IPv6 is enabled.

            regards, tom lane