Re: fdw validation function vs zero catalog id - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fdw validation function vs zero catalog id
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> According to what?  I can't find any documentation whatsoever on what
>> arguments that function is supposed to get.

> According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-createforeigndatawrapper.html:

> "The validator function must take two arguments: one of type text[], which
> will contain the array of options as stored in the system catalogs, and one
> of type oid, which will be the OID of the system catalog containing the
> options, or zero if the context is not known."

Hmm, dunno how I missed that.  But anyway ISTM the current code conforms
to that specification just fine.  I think what you're really lobbying
for is that we remove the "or zero" escape hatch and insist that the
backend code do whatever it has to do to supply a correct OID.  This
patch shows that that's not too hard right now, but are there going to
be future situations where it's harder?  What was the motivation for
including the escape hatch in the first place?