Great Bridge re-runs benchmark with MySQL "tuned" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Widenius
Subject Great Bridge re-runs benchmark with MySQL "tuned"
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

Ned> Folks,
Ned> We posted the following announcement on our website today, at
Ned> http://www.greatbridge.com/news/press.html.

Ned> Please feel free to email me off-list with any questions.

Ned> Thanks,
Ned> Ned

Thanks for running a new test.  The only big thing I still miss is a
benchmark with the 3.23 RPM; The select code in MySQL 3.23 is not that
much faster than 3.23 (except if you use GROUP BY or DISTINCT, which
is MUCH faster in 3.23), but using 3.23 would cancel the effect
of using RedHat 6.1 with a buggy LinuxThread library.

I assume you didn't optimize the table format in MySQL, as you did for
PostgreSQL before running this test ?  This would have given some
small additional performance, but not significantly compared to the
LinuxThread problem.

We downloaded ourselves the AS3AP test to take a look at this, but
unfortunately the test version can't be used for benchmarking at all
:(  The reason is that one can't configure this for more than 10 users
and there is a 100ms sleep between each query :(

I think we will take a look at implementing a similar test as the
AS3AP test in our own test suite so that we can get a open source test
that we can use to benchmark databases under heavy load.

We would REALLY prefer to have an open source benchmark that everyone
can download and test to verify results!

By the way, what was the cache parameters you setup for PostgreSQL
when running the test ?  I asked this before but never got an answer
for this (I would just like to setup PostgreSQL perfectly for our
benchmarks)

Regards,
Monty