Re: YTA Time Zone Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: YTA Time Zone Question
Date
List pgsql-general
Danny Armstrong <detarmstrong@visiontree.com> writes:
> What am I misunderstanding and how do I get it to interpret the value as
> utc and then not offset it when I view it, like python and ruby do?

What you're misunderstanding is that you messed up the data when you put
it into the database, probably by having a timezone setting *at that
time* that didn't agree with what your source application expected.
If the application sends timestamp strings that don't explicitly include
a timezone identifier, PG will assume that they are in the zone
identified by TimeZone, and in any case it will then convert the time
to UTC for storage.

            regards, tom lane