Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403)
Date
In response to Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 8:38 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> FWIW, that'd just mean it's an old bug that wasn't easily noticeable
>> before, not that it's the fault of 277692220.

> I think you're still on the hook to do something about it for this
> release.

I think you're trying to shoot the messenger.  As Andres says,
277692220 just exposes that there is some pre-existing bug here.
It's probably related to 84f5c2908, so I was planning to take a
look at it at some point, but there are a few other higher-priority
bugs in the way.

I see no point in reverting 277692220.  Removing the Assert would
prevent, or at least complicate, detection of other similar bugs.
And it'd do nothing to help end users, who won't have assertions
enabled anyway.