Re: Uber moving towards MySQL

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Uber moving towards MySQL
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Uber moving towards MySQL  (Santiago Zarate, )
 Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Santiago Zarate, )
 Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Robert Bernier, )
  Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (James Keener, )
  Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Gavin Flower, )
   Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  ("Jonathan S. Katz", )
  Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Michael Banck, )
   Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Damien Clochard, )
    Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Bruce Momjian, )
     Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  ("Jonathan S. Katz", )
      Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Simon Riggs, )
       Re: Uber moving towards MySQL  (Bruce Momjian, )

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 28.07.2016, 06:24 -0700 schrieb Robert Bernier:
> Folks,
>
> https://ayende.com/blog/175137/re-why-uber-engineering-switched-from-postgres-to-mysql
>
> This is getting serious; two popularized articles on hacker news now
> slamming postgres.
>
> I've read and caught up on our mailthread regarding the technical
> issues.
>
> Although no way near as knowledgeable as many of you regarding the
> inner workings of MySQL, let alone postgres, I do however recognize
> navel gazing when I see it. The first article starting this thread was
> a convoluted justification of one's own religion. This second article
> is pure commercial leveraging of a thread that's garnered a lot of
> attention.
>
> It's time a response from the postgres community was forthcoming.

Markus Winand wrote a pretty good (and leveled, in my opinion) analysis
of Uber's choices and their trade-offs here:

http://use-the-index-luke.com/blog/2016-07-29/on-ubers-choice-of-databases

That hasn't been picked up by Hacker News yet though.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach