Re: Search system catalog for mystery type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Search system catalog for mystery type
Date
List pgsql-general
Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 11:09:23AM -0500, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
>> This was really common with us with PG for years, and now it errors out -
>> what happened, and when?

> There are references in the docs at least back to 7.1:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.1/static/sql-createtype.html#R2-SQL-CREATETYPE-3
> are you sure you haven't started doing something new?

The array-types-use-leading-underscore convention has been there since
Berkeley days.  What did change recently is that arrays of composite
types didn't exist until I-forget-which release.  So now, if you have
a table foo, you also have a rowtype foo and an array type _foo; you
didn't use to have the latter.

In simple cases the system will attempt to rename a conflicting array
type out of your way, but I don't think ALTER RENAME does that.

            regards, tom lane