createdb -- alternate locations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard J. Kuhns
Subject createdb -- alternate locations
Date
List pgsql-general
J.R. writes:
 >     Hello:
 >
 > Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
 >
 > Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
 > However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
 >
 > To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
 > database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
 > the superuser (postgres):
 >
 > mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
 > export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
 > initlocation PGDATA2
 > createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
 >
 > the last command failed with this error:
 > "The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
 > that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
 > databases"
 >
 > I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.
 >

 > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

What a coincidence; I just asked about this last week.  What you've got is
right, but before you can createdb, you've got to stop and restart the
postmaster with "PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata" in its environment.

Good luck...

--
Richard Kuhns            rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249            Tel: (765)477-6000 \