Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 18.05.2016, 06:51 -0700 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
> On 05/18/2016 06:46 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 18, 2016, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> > <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
> >         This is a strong possibility, but is not yet decided.
> >

> >     A community vote:
> >
> >     -1
> >

> > For what reason?
>
>  From my perspective we are fixing something that isn't broken.

There is no clear consensus why some major versions  should be more
major than others, and breaking compatibility is off the table as reason
it seems.

So moving to just a major version is fixing the "I am on Postgres 9"
issue, which was broken IMO, and it also fixes the 50+ mail threads
every release about "this should be the next .0" which were/are draining
the community as well.

It's been decided to investigate the new version scheme at the Developer
Meeting after extensive discussions so I wonder why we need to kep
argueing about the bikeshed now.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach