Re: pg installation for dummies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg installation for dummies
Date
List pgsql-general
Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer@ieee.org> writes:
> 1) People often ask about the memory settings in postgresql.conf.

Aside from the ones you mentioned, checkpoint_segments is my favorite
bottleneck.  It doesn't matter for a read-mostly database, but under
any sort of write-intensive load you really got to bump it up.  Note
that this is a disk space tradeoff not a memory tradeoff.

> I now believe
> that the "right" thing to do is this (in pg_hba.conf)
>      # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>      local   sameuser    all                               md5
>      local   all         postgres                          md5
> This seems to prevent a student from logging into anything other that
> his own database.  Is this the best way?

It's kinda hardwired --- if you want to grant specific exceptions to
let B use A's database, you end up editing pg_hba.conf a lot.  As of
8.2 I think the best way is to use GRANT/REVOKE CONNECT ON DATABASE.

            regards, tom lane