Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> writes:
>     Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> If others can try this patch to ensure it enables pg_dump to work on
>> their databases, it would be great.

> It doesn't seem to help if one field exceeds 1Gb, for instance when
> inflated by a bin->hex translation.

It's not going to be possible to fix that without enormously invasive
changes (affecting individual datatype I/O functions, for example).
And in general, fields approaching that size are going to give you
problems in all kinds of ways, not only COPY.

I think we should be satisfied if we can make COPY deal with the sum
of a line's fields exceeding 1GB.