Connection to database failed: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris
Subject Connection to database failed: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host
Date
List pgsql-sql
Introduction:

I am working on an application that connects to a postgres database using
the libpq API. As a requirement the remote host uses SSL.

The scenario involves two Mac computers. We also have two different users,
each with their own account to access the database.

On one computer, the application works fine and both users can connect to
the database using SSL.

On the other computer, both users fail to connect to a database and the “no
pg_hba.cong entry for host …” error is returned from PQerrorMessage.

All users can connect to the database on both computers using either psql,
or pgAdmin.

Code Syntax:

Development is done on Mac with code written in Cocoa / Objectice-C, and C
language.

I am using the following include file:

#include <libpq-fe.h>

I create the connection string using the following format. Then

NSString *connstr = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"sslmode='prefer' host='%@'
port='%@' user='%@' password='%@' dbname='%@'", host, port, user, pass, db];

const char *conninfo = [connstr cStringUsingEncoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding];

PGconn *conn =  PQconnectdb (conninfo);

/*
conninfo = "sslmode='prefer' host='host.domain.com' port='' user='username'
password='password' dbname='database'"
*/

if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK)
{// no pg_hba.conf entry for host error occurs
}

Configuration Settings:

pg_hba.conf contains

hostssl        all    all    0.0.0.0/0    md5

postgresql.conf contains

ssl        on        on
ssl_cert_file    server.crt    server.crt
ssl_key_file    server.key    server.key

Since I able to connect to both computers using psql and pgAdmin, I suspect
the problem is with the connection within the Application. The connection
string in the application is correct, and I verified the user name and
password being passed properly.