Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Matthias Urlichs" <smurf@noris.net> writes:
>> So you test EXCEPT by having a different number of columns.  I can see
>> it now, "Hey we don't have EXCEPT.  PostgreSQL does it, but they can't
>> handle a different number of columns.  Let's do only that test so we
>> look equal."
>>
> They might as well have written that test while checking their crash-me
> script against SOLID and noting a few features MySQL doesn't have yet.
> Or they may have gotten it from them in the first place.

Our gripe is not that they're testing an extension we haven't got.
It's that the test result is misleadingly labeled.  It doesn't say
"EXCEPT with incompatible select lists", it says "EXCEPT", full stop.
That's deceptive.  And no, we do not think it's an honest mistake.
It's part of a consistent pattern of misstatements that's been going on
for a long time.  Sure, any one might be an honest mistake, but when you
see the same sort of thing over and over again, your credulity drops to
a low level.  crashme is designed to make MySQL look good and everyone
else (not just Postgres) look bad.

I'm glad to hear your optimism about cleaning this up.  Perhaps you
can actually accomplish something, but most of us decided long ago
that crashme is not meant as a fair comparison.  We have other things
to do than ride herd on crashme and try to keep them to the straight
and narrow, when they clearly have no desire to make it an unbiased
test and will not do so without constant prodding.