Re: [psycopg] Turbo ODBC - Mailing list psycopg

From Koenig, Michael
Subject Re: [psycopg] Turbo ODBC
Date
List psycopg
For the NumPy functionality, NULL values are handled by returning masked arrays
(https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/maskedarray.html)instead of plain arrays.

Regards

Michael

On 17/01/2017, 16:06, "Jim Nasby" <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> wrote:

    On 1/17/17 4:51 AM, Uwe L. Korn wrote:
    > One important thing for fast columnar data access is that you don't want
    > to have the data as Python objects before they will be turned into a
    > DataFrame. Besides much better buffering, this was one of the main
    > advantages we have with Turbodbc. Given that the ODBC drivers for
    > Postgres seem to be in a miserable state, it would be much preferable to
    > have such functionality directly in pyscopg2. Given from meetings with
    > people at some PyData conferences that I showed turbodbc to, I can
    > definitely say that there are some users out there that would like a
    > fast path for Postgres-to-Pandas.
    >
    > In turbodbc, there are two additional functions added to the DB-API
    > cursor object: fetchallnumpy and fetchallarrow. These suffice mostly for
    > the typical pandas workloads. The experience from implementing this is
    > basically that with Arrow it was quite simple to add a columnar
    > interface as most of the data conversions were handled by Arrow. Also
    > there was no need for me to interface with any Python types as the
    > language "barrier" was transparently handled by Arrow.

    I certainly see the advantages to not creating objects. How do you end
    up handling NULLs?
    855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)