Re: New and unified 9.5 spec file is in git - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: New and unified 9.5 spec file is in git
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 11:52 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> It built perfectly with mock on Fedora 21 for a F23 target.
> Brilliant!

Thanks for checking!

> To make it clear that they're the same is it worth having a common/
> directory at the same level as EL-5, F-23, etc and symlinking the
> specfile to the various subdirs from there, along with any identical
> patches etc?

That would be the next step. Let's finish the actual work first.

> I'm really happy about this, since it means the build depends are now
> correct and it can be built without needing a dedicated build machine
> using nothing but mock. No need to manually set up dependencies
> anymore, set up a build box, etc. No need to juggle x86_64 and i386
> either, you can run builds for *everything* from a single F23 box or
> VM or docker or whatever.

Well, we are building 100+ packages in 9.5 set. Setting up a new mock
environment everytime would slow us down, IMHO. What do you think?

> If the same process is followed for other packages

*All* of the *recently added* spec files are unified nowadays :) This
also applies to some specs that I found time to rework on (like
postgis, repmgr, etc.). The repo is not fully unified yet, but we are
on it.

> Since you seem to be using Docker to prep build envs now

Err, no. We are using actual VMs (powered by libvirtd+qemu-kvm)

>  it's less of an issue than when the build boxes are hand-maintained,
> but the great thing about mock is that it gets all the build depends
> info straight from the spec file.

All deps are already installed on our build servers. If not, we install
them before building a new package.

> The EL-5 package built happily under mock for -r epel-5-i386 too. I
> didn't
> test install it.

This is great testing. Appreciated, thanks!

> Thanks so much. This is great and I really hope you got some use out
> of my prior work on it.

You are welcome. As I wrote a few mins ago, I really was inspired from
your work.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ