Re: Aggressive freezing in lazy-vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Aggressive freezing in lazy-vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I said nothing about expired tuples.  The point of not freezing is to
>> preserve information about the insertion time of live tuples.

> I don't know what good it will do -- for debugging?

Exactly.  As an example, I've been chasing offline a report from Merlin
Moncure about duplicate entries in a unique index; I still don't know
what exactly is going on there, but the availability of knowledge about
which transactions inserted which entries has been really helpful.  If
we had a system designed to freeze tuples as soon as possible, that info
would have been gone forever pretty soon after the problem happened.

I don't say that this behavior can never be acceptable, but you need
much more than a marginal performance improvement to convince me that
it's worth the loss of forensic information.