Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Imseih (AWS), Sami
Subject Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 10:02 AM Imseih (AWS), Sami <simseih@amazon.com> wrote:
    >> If the failsafe kicks in midway through a vacuum, the number indexes_total will not be reset to 0. If
INDEX_CLEANUPis turned off, then the value will be 0 at the start of the vacuum.

    > The way that this works with num_index_scans is that we "round up"
    > when there has been non-zero work in lazy_vacuum_all_indexes(), but
    > not if the precheck in lazy_vacuum_all_indexes() fails. That seems
    > like a good model to generalize from here. Note that this makes
    > INDEX_CLEANUP=off affect num_index_scans in much the same way as a
    > VACUUM where the failsafe kicks in very early, during the initial heap
    > pass. That is, if the failsafe kicks in before we reach lazy_vacuum()
    > for the first time (which is not unlikely), or even in the
    > lazy_vacuum_all_indexes() precheck, then num_index_scans will remain
    > at 0, just like INDEX_CLEANUP=off.
    >
    > The actual failsafe WARNING shows num_index_scans, possibly before it
    > gets incremented one last time (by "rounding up"). So it's reasonably
    > clear how this all works from that context (assuming that the
    > autovacuum logging stuff, which reports num_index_scans, outputs a
    > report for a table where the failsafe kicked in).

>    I am confused.  If failsafe kicks in during the middle of a vacuum, I
>    (perhaps naively) would expect indexes_total and indexes_processed to go to
>    zero, and I'd expect to no longer see the "vacuuming indexes" and "cleaning
>    up indexes" phases.  Otherwise, how would I know that we are now skipping
>    indexes?  Of course, you won't have any historical context about the index
>    work done before failsafe kicked in, but IMO it is misleading to still
>    include it in the progress view.

Failsafe occurring in the middle of a vacuum and resetting "indexes_total" to 0 will be misleading. I am thinking that
itis a better idea to expose only one column "indexes_remaining".

If index_cleanup is set to OFF, the values of indexes_remaining will be 0 at the start of the vacuum.
If failsafe kicks in during a vacuum in-progress, "indexes_remaining" will be calculated to 0.

This approach will provide a progress based on how many indexes remaining with no ambiguity.

--
Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services