Re: an OID >= 8000 in master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: an OID >= 8000 in master
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> writes:
> At Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:10:09 -0800, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote in
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>>> Yep, agreed.  This looks like an oversight.  Peter?

>> It's not an oversight. See the commit message of a6417078, and the
>> additions that were made to the RELEASE_CHANGES file.

Yes, the idea is that picking random OIDs in the 8000-9999 range is
less likely to cause conflicts between patches than our old habits.

> I thought that commits don't use the development OIDs and thought that
> we won't have conflict perfectly.

I do not think there is any easy solution that guarantees that.
We could imagine having some sort of pre-registration mechanism,
maybe, but it seems like more trouble than benefit.

> By the way even if we work this way, developers tend to pick up low
> range OIDs since it is printed at the beginning of the output. I think
> we should hide the whole list of unused oids defaultly and just
> suggest random one.

-1, that pretty much destroys the point of the unused_oids script.