Re: Update in all tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Owen Jacobson
Subject Re: Update in all tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 15:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > No, sorry.  While we're at it, though, if you have the same field in
> > several tables, it's a good sign that your database is badly
> > normalised.  You shouldn't have to update more than one table (which
> > is why there isn't a way to do this automatically).
>
> Unless they're all FK/PK pairs, in which case you on update / delete
> cascade FKs.

It's entirely too bad this has to be designed into the DDL for the table.  It'd be nice if you could specify "CASCADE"
onUPDATE or DELETE queries.  I don't see that it's any more of a gun than ON UPDATE/ON DELETE CASCADE in the foreign
keydefinition.

-Owen