Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Owen Jacobson
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Daniel Caune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to find in the documentation whether PostgreSQL supports job,
> but I miserably failed.  Does PostgreSQL support job?  If not, what
> is the mechanism mostly adopted by PostgreSQL administrators for
> running jobs against PostgreSQL?  I was thinking about using
> cron/plsql/sql-scripts on Linux.

The answer really depends on what you mean by "jobs".  If you have a database task that can be expressed as a series of
commandswith no interaction involved, you can just put those commands in a file (your-job-name.sql) and run it using
psqland cron:

# replace leading stars with cron time settings
* * * * *     psql your-database -i your-job-name.sql

If you need something more complex, either a function which is executed from a script or a full-blown client program
maybe required.  IME that's fairly rare.

-Owen