Re: [BUGS] 8.0: Absolute path required for INITDB? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] 8.0: Absolute path required for INITDB?
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Rather I would ask why we changed the
> description-loading routine in version 1.7 of initdb.c to use a copy
> from file instead of what happens everywhere else where initdb loads the
> file and feeds it to the postgres stdin?

That was to avoid a Windows-only newline problem.  Don't complain too
hard.

You are in any case missing the point: -L is a useless switch and there
is no reason to make it easy to use.  (I don't think I have ever once
had occasion to use it in all the years I've worked on Postgres, and I
have certainly run initdb in orders-of-magnitude more contexts than any
ordinary user would.)  If I have to waste any more time on this
discussion, I will propose solving the problem by removing the switch
entirely.

            regards, tom lane