Re: Why not to use 'pg_ctl start -D ../data' to register posgtresql windows service - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From YuanyuanLiu
Subject Re: Why not to use 'pg_ctl start -D ../data' to register posgtresql windows service
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, Michael!
Thanks for your reply!

I knew that postgresql windows service is made by "pg_ctl register -N
serviceName -D dataPath".
And  command from service, like "D:\Program Files
(x86)\PostgreSQL\9.4\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N "postgres-9.4" -D
"D:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.4\data", cannot run manually like
command line.

I have a conclusion:
When we registered postgresql windows service named "postgres-9.4",
we can start the postgresql server by manually  starting the windows service
, runing command "net stop postgres-9.4" (need user with administrator
privilege), or runing command "pg_ctl start -D ../path/to/data".
The started postgresql service must be stopped in the same session.
Is this right ?

Looking forward to your reply!
Regard!
Liu Yuanyuan