Re: [SQL] Optimizing ORDER BY with indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dirk Lutzebaeck
Subject Re: [SQL] Optimizing ORDER BY with indexes?
Date
Re: [SQL] Optimizing ORDER BY with indexes?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [SQL] Optimizing ORDER BY with indexes?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Dirk Lutzebaeck writes:> > I'm forced to used ORDER BY on large tables which then takes quite> long. Is there a chance
tocreate/optimize an index for ORDER BY?> Or could I write an index method on my own? How would it look like?> > Are
thereany other possiblities to speed up ORDER BY?

Reading about indexes in the Bowman SQL book I think a
_clustered index_ is needed for the problem above.
Does Postgresql support these?

Dirk