Re: FDW to postGIS Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: FDW to postGIS Database
Date
List pgsql-general
In line below...

On Monday, March 7, 2022, 05:36:34 AM GMT+13, Susan Hurst <susan.hurst@brookhurstdata.com> wrote:

Let say that I have a database named stp. I also have another database
named geo that is a PostGIS database for storing geopolitical and
geospatial data. I want to set up a foreign data wrapper in stp to
connect to geo, so that for each address in stp, I only have to store
the primary key value of the lowest level geo unit, such as a city. I
can always display the city's county, state, country, whatever in views
in stp. I plan to have other databases that need geo data so I want a
single source of truth for geopolitical and geospatial data.

My questions are:
1. Do I have to install PostGIS in stp?....or is it sufficient to
install PostGIS only in geo?

If you want to use Postgis functions & datatypes in stp you will need Postgis there

2. Do I need the postgis extension in stp?  (I'm thinking yes, but I
don't want to guess.)

Isn't this the same as (1) above? (Postgis is installed via "create extension postgis;")

3. I want to geocode addresses in stp. Do I need to install any
geocoding software in stp?...or can it be used from geo?

If you can geocode in geo & access the resulting data via fdw in stp, you should not need geocoding tools in stp.
If you need to access spatial data from geo in stp & geocode in stp, you will need the geocoding tools in stp.

Thanks for your help!

Sue

--
Susan E Hurst