Re: Recursive merging of overlapping arrays in a column - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From dave
Subject Re: Recursive merging of overlapping arrays in a column
Date
List pgsql-sql
Sorry, here is the post again in plain text...

i have the following Table:

CREATE TABLE arrays (id SERIAL, arr INT[]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[1,3,6,9]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[2,4]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[3,10,40]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[3,18,44]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[63,140,420]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[42,102,420]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[2,7]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[1,3,11]);
INSERT INTO arrays (arr) VALUES (ARRAY[8,12,19]);

I want to merge the arrays which have overlapping elements, so that I get
the result which doesn't contain overlapping arrays anymore:
          arr
--------------------------{1,3,6,9,10,11,18,40,44}{2,4,7}{8,12,19}{42,63,102,140,420}

I am not an expert in SQL and it took me a long time to come up with this
solution:

WITH RECURSIVE clusters AS (select DISTINCT uniq(sort_asc(array_cat(a1.arr, a2.arr))) AS arrfrom arrays a1 cross join
arraysa2 where a1.arr && a2.arr ANDleast(a1.id,a2.id) != greatest(a1.id, a2.id)UNIONselect DISTINCT
uniq(sort_asc(array_cat(a1.arr,a2.arr))) AS arrfrom arrays a1 cross join clusters a2 where a1.arr && a2.arr AND a1.arr
!=a2.arr

)

SELECT arr FROM (SELECT * FROM (    SELECT DISTINCT ON (arr[1]) arr     FROM clusters    ORDER BY arr[1],
array_length(arr,1) DESC) AS c

UNION
SELECT arr FROM arrays WHERE id NOT IN (    SELECT DISTINCT a1.id    FROM arrays a1 CROSS JOIN arrays a2     WHERE
a1.arr&& a2.arr AND    least(a1.id,a2.id) != greatest(a1.id, a2.id))

) AS clustertable
ORDER BY arr;

Which gives me the result:
          arr
--------------------------{1,3,6,9,10,11,18,40,44}{2,4,7}{3,10,18,40,44}{8,12,19}{42,63,102,140,420}
(5 rows)

Result number 3 is contained in number one and shouldn't be in the output
anymore, because I only want non overlapping arrays in the result.

Another problem I encountered is that the performance of this query seems to
be very bad. I tried running it on a larger table (~400000 arrays) and it is
still running after ~10h.

I would appreciate any input on this problems, so it would be nice if anyone
could give me a hint how to get only the merged arrays without overlaps in
the resultset and maybe how to build a more elegant and efficient query.

Thanks in advance,

Dave