Re: Auto Vacuum Daemon (again...) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Auto Vacuum Daemon (again...)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> interesting thought.  I think this boils down to how many knobs do we
> need to put on this system. It might make sense to say allow upto X
> concurrent vacuums, a 4 processor system might handle 4 concurrent
> vacuums very well.

This is almost certainly a bad idea.  vacuum is not very
processor-intensive, but it is disk-intensive.  Multiple vacuums running
at once will suck more disk bandwidth than is appropriate for a
"background" operation, no matter how sexy your CPU is.  I can't see
any reason to allow more than one auto-scheduled vacuum at a time.