Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
Re: Materialized views WIP patch  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 5 March 2013 22:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> FWIW, my opinion is that doing anything like this in the planner is
>> going to be enormously expensive.

> As we already said: no MVs => zero overhead => no problem.

Well, in the first place that statement is false on its face: we'll
still spend cycles looking for relevant MVs, or at least maintaining a
complexly-indexed cache that helps us find out that there are none in
a reasonable amount of time.  In the second place, even if it were
approximately true it wouldn't help the people who were using MVs.

> It costs in
> the cases where time savings are possible and not otherwise.

And that is just complete nonsense: matching costs whether you find a
match or not.  Could we have a little less Pollyanna-ish optimism and
a bit more realism about the likely cost of such a feature?