Re: psql on Windows systems - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: psql on Windows systems
Date
Re: psql on Windows systems
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 20:47 +0200, Holger Jakobs wrote:
> > Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> writes:
> > > Recently I had to use PostgreSQL on a Windows based system, and I was
> > > surprised that the psql tool behaves differently, when it comes to the
> > > functionality of the readline library.
>
> The page https://tiswww.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html says:
>
> "Microsoft offers its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) as an installable add-on
> for Windows 10 and Windows 11. It's basically a separate packaged version of
> the Linux kernel that runs as a Windows service, and you can build and install
> readline-8.2 within that environment." Maybe it works when the machine doing
> the compiling and packaging has WSL installed. Would be worth trying, imho.

Yes, it should be simple to build "psql" with readline in that environment, so
I recommend that you do that.

I guess the Windows binaries don't want to require the users to install
Microsoft's Linux emulation.  After all, if you do that, you might as well
use the ready-made Linux binaries.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe