Re: Theory of operation of collation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Theory of operation of collation patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Can you give an example of what a column definition would look like if
> you put the COLLATE clause in the <data type> in a way that wouldn't
> be parsed according to your plan?

Column definitions look and act the same.  The point of the change is to
not accept COLLATE in all the places where type names are used that are
*not* column definition lists.  The original patch accepted nonsense like

create cast (text collate "C" as text collate "de_DE") with ...

and we'd have had to do quite a lot of additional hacking to plug those
holes.