Re: The fastest way to update thousands of rows in moderately sized table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From twoflower
Subject Re: The fastest way to update thousands of rows in moderately sized table
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you, I will look into those suggestions.

Meanwhile, I started experimenting with partitioning the table into smaller
tables, each holding rows with ID spanning 1 million values and using this
approach, the UPDATE takes 300ms. I have to check if all the SELECTs I am
issuing against the original table keep their performance, but so far it
seems they do, if the appropriate indexes are present on the child tables. I
was worried about the overhead of each query having to go through all
(currently) 58 partition tables, but it seems like it's not that big of a
deal.