Re: Porting issue with openssl and no /dev/random - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Porting issue with openssl and no /dev/random
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@cerberus.csd.uwm.edu> writes:
> I installed the client part of postgres on a Compaq Alpha running tru64
> Unix 4 (or what they are calling it these days) using the openssl library.
> This machine does not have random device and openssl's library insists
> on some random data in order to start up. This prevented me from running
> the software as downloaded. I made some changes to fe-connect.c to
> read ~/.rnd for initial state so I could use the feature.

> This isn't exactly a postgres problem, but it may be that you can check
> for this case (no /dev/random and openssl) and call the ssl functions
> to get random state from a file.

I believe we discussed this awhile back and decided that it wasn't a
good idea for Postgres to hack around what is really an OpenSSL bug.
IIRC, the problem was supposed to be fixed in an upcoming OpenSSL
release; do you have the latest openssl?

            regards, tom lane