Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Date
Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre  (Peter T Mount <peter@retep.org.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Joe Kislo <postgre@athenium.com> writes:
> ... this lack of BLOB support.  I understand that the C
> API can read/write -files- off the server's filesystem and load them
> into the database.  Unfortunately we would absolutely require true
> over-the-wire blob support through JDBC.  AFAIK, even with these "toast"
> columns, it still wouldn't fill that need.

This is a misunderstanding.  You can still use the old-style large
objects (in fact 7.1 has an improved implementation of them too),
and there's always been support for either over-the-wire or
server-filesystem read and write of large objects.  In fact the former
is the preferred way; the latter is deprecated because of security
issues.  In a standard installation you can't do the server-filesystem
bit at all unless you are superuser.

The JDBC support for over-the-wire access to large objects used to
have some bugs, but AFAIK those are cleaned up in current sources
(right Peter?)

Adding a similar feature for TOAST columns will certainly be a
notational improvement, but it won't add any fundamental capability
that isn't there already.

>     2) Postgre does not record rollback segments.

We know this is needed.  But it will not happen for 7.1, and there's
no point in complaining about that; 7.1 is overdue already.

            regards, tom lane