Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-01-09 15:03:35 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (Speaking of which, I've been wondering for awhile if libpq ought not
>> obtain the OIDs of lo_create and friends by #including fmgroids.h
>> instead of doing a runtime query on every connection.  If we did that,
>> we'd be forever giving up the option to renumber them ... but do you
>> really want to bet that nobody else has done this already in some
>> other client code?)

> I'm not enthusiastic about that. I kinda hope we're going to evolve that
> interface further, which'd make it version dependent anyway (we don't
> require all of them right now...). And it's not that expensive to query
> their oids once.

Version dependency doesn't seem like much of an argument: we'd just teach
libpq to pay attention to the server version, which it knows anyway (and
uses for other purposes already).

But this is a bit off-topic for this thread, perhaps.