Re: Tests randomly failed - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tests randomly failed
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Justin Clift <jclift@iprimus.com.au> writes:
> If it's of any help, I get the same types of regression testing failures
> on Solaris, with the same "is the backend running?" type error
> messages.. when the installation of solaris HAS NOT had it's /etc/system
> file altered to change the amount of shared memory segments and
> semaphores.

> Whenever I have those problems, I insert the updated (higher) values for
> shared memory and semaphores, reboot the system, then the tests pass as
> the backend is able to start fine.

Hm.  That's interesting, but it's fairly hard to believe.  For at least
a couple releases past, Postgres has grabbed all the shared memory and
semaphores that it wants at postmaster start.  Insufficient shmem/sema
resources should result in postmaster abort, not in occasional failures
to start backends.

            regards, tom lane