Disable Trigger for session only - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From gmb
Subject Disable Trigger for session only
Date
Re: Disable Trigger for session only  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi

I' pretty sure I know the answer, but trying my luck.

I'm in a position where the most logical/effective way of doing an update
(data fix) is this:
ALTER TABLE temp DISABLE TRIGGER trigname;
UPDATE temp ..... DO SOME STUFF....
ALTER TABLE temp DISABLE TRIGGER trigname;

Some notes:
It cannot be guaranteed that the above happens as a single transaction.
It is possible that this occurs at the same time as other session posting
inserts/updates to table TEMP.

I'm seeing data which suggests that trigger trigname did not occur when in
fact it should have ( i.e. the above update procedure is not relevant ).
Does this make sense taking into account that multiple sessions posts to the
table at once ?

I'm aware that session_replication_role can be used as alternative to
disable triggers, and have been using it in other scenarios. But in this
case i'd like to choose which trigger to disable (I want other triggers on
table temp to still occur).

Is there any other alternatives to this ?

Will appreciate any input