Re: Indexes getting corrupted. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Indexes getting corrupted.
Date
Re: Indexes getting corrupted.  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-admin
> I'm suspicious of a more subtle intermittent error.

Yeah, I am too, but so far none of the reporters have been cooperative
about providing more information :-(

> We have no
> information about what the magic values are, only that they are not
> correct. Should we increase the information returned for that error?

I think the proposed patch is a waste of time.  What I am hoping to get
from people is a dump of the whole first page of the corrupted index
(via pg_filedump, or even good ol' od).  That might give us some idea of
what we are dealing with --- localized corruption in a basically good
metapage, or wholesale replacement of the page with some other page (and
if so what), or maybe it is a hardware fault after all.  You can't draw
those sorts of conclusions from one or two words, but with a whole page
to look at you have a shot at telling the difference.

            regards, tom lane