Re: Concatenation Snafu - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Concatenation Snafu
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Chad Thompson" <chad@weblinkservices.com> writes:
> The assumtion that char and varchar can be compared is gone.

The real problem is that we have too dang many || operators; there's
no reason to have char||char, varchar||varchar, *and* text||text.
The parser can't decide which of the first two to prefer, so it
punts.  If we got rid of both and left only text||text, all would be
well.

Thomas is wrong to claim that this used to behave differently; all
versions I have handy to test, back to 7.0, give the same error.
        regards, tom lane